Thursday, April 1, 2010

Caution:Social programs at work.

Scientific American magazine recently ran an article that stated food stamps cause obesity. I must admit my ignorance on the subject, I didn't know my taxes provide junk food to poor people in effect causing them to become obese, get diabetes, hypertension and cancer. Is this how social programs are supposed to work? No wonder we need universal healthcare. We have to treat all the poor people we made ill with the food stamp program. That's the problem with social engineering. It requires more engineering to fix the damage the previous program caused. The next time you drive by a dilapidated city housing project imagine seeing a sign that says "Caution:Social programs at work".

1 comment:

  1. I'm on the food stamp program, and yes I'm over weight. The program helps, but doesn't get me through entirly without having to add cash to make it to the next month. In that respect I find it makes me VERY aware of exactly what I'm buying. I always try to make it stretch out and cover as many meals as possible. I don't drink soda and I never use it to buy junk food. I must say that anyone else that I know on the program do things pretty much the same way.

    ReplyDelete