Thursday, July 22, 2010

Honor roll and jelly roll

Students receive report cards, and now they will receive B.M.I. (Body Mass Index) reports. This is an attempt to curb student obesity and the associated health problems. I've got a better idea why don't they try to educate the students instead. The Center for Disease Control say's B.M.I."is not a diagnostic tool", because B.M.I. does not differentiate between fat and lean muscle. In fact "Some argue that the error in B.M.I. is so significant and so pervasive that it is not generally useful in evaluation of health"*. Another failing grade for the Dept of Education. You may one day receive a letter saying your child has made the honor roll, unfortunately because of their excessive B.M.I. they have also made the jelly roll.
*http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/about_childrens_bmi.html *http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_05_09.html
Kobe Bryant, Matt Damon, Johnny Depp, Bradd Pitt, and Will Smith are all considered overweight according to their B.M.I.

No comments:

Post a Comment